Sunday, June 24, 2012

Rosemary Spiced Pickled Pears




Sometimes I can get particularly precious with recipes.  This is one of those.  I’ve been asked for this recipe many times over and somehow felt disinclined to let go of it.  Maybe it’s because I often take it as a gift and once it’s out there then I feel it would no longer be special to me (or people will see just how easy it is and feel cheated?).  I’m selfish, I know.  I was told often enough by my nearest and dearest when I was younger.  So now I am going to be very grown up and magnanimous and share the recipe. 

Now, I confess it’s not that noble a gesture for, if you Google the title, you’ll get many variations on similar recipes.  I spotted one using star anise and thought that would be worth a go.  This particular one comes from a class my sister and I attended many, many years ago on edible Christmas gifts and I think it comes from Leanne Kitchen.   I’ve been making it ever since, slightly altered from the original.  I love the warm, amber syrup with the cool pears.




Serve the pears, either in quarters or chopped, with meats or cheeses.  I love them served with curries or to replace ordinary pears in salads with baby spinach and walnuts.  One friend uses the leftover liquid poured over boiled white rice (you can also splash it in dressings), whilst another has eaten the pears with ice cream even though he was warned they were savoury, not sweet – he liked them.

No matter how you try them, enjoy.  I feel a much nicer person now.


Rosemary Spiced Pickled Pears

Recipe makes about 4 jars, depending on jar size.

2 cups (500ml) white wine vinegar
2 cups (500ml) water
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons hot chilli flakes
several sprigs of fresh rosemary*
6 Beurre-Bosc pears


*Snip (don’t chop) the fresh rosemary sprigs to fit the jars you are using.  I normally work on about 2 sprigs to each jar depending on the size of the jars. 

Place the vinegar, water, sugar, chilli flakes and rosemary sprigs in a large pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved.

In the meantime, peel the whole pears leaving the stalks attached.  Cut each pear into half, then quarter (still leaving stalk attached).

Add the quartered pears to the pan and simmer for 30 minutes or until pears are soft.  Stir gently once or twice to ensure pears are evenly covered. 

While the pears are simmering, sterilize your jars and lids.  I wash mine in hot, soapy water, rinse the jars and microwave them (still with water attached) for one minute.  I pour boiling hot water from a kettle over the lids.  I also hot wash some tongs and a pouring jug to use when filling the jars.

Distribute the pears and rosemary sprigs evenly between the jars.  Unless you have a pouring spout on your pan, pour the remaining liquid into a pouring jar then into each jar, right up to the top.  Place lids on top and twist to ensure they are sealed.  Wipe each jar with a warm, damp cloth to remove residue syrup. 

Store in a cool, dark cupboard.  Try to leave for a month to develop the flavours.

Serve either in quarters or chopped with meats, cheeses, etc.  They are also particularly good with curries or make lovely gifts.






2 comments:

  1. I am totally going to try this on my next day off - roll on Thursday. I often make roasted pears to accompany pork chops and the like - I'm thinking this would make a wonderful alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve made this recipe and it turns out amazing. Very tasty. Relatively easy to do. I do my jars in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes; using great caution to remove after, and let cool until warm-hot to touch before adding ingredients. I boil my lids in water in a pot on stove. After tightening on filled jars, let them sit and you’ll hear the lids ‘pop’ as they cool when they make a tight seal. Mine go into my cool but never freezing basement.

    ReplyDelete