Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Coffee + walnut cupcakes



This was supposed to be about coffee and walnut cake but I’d misplaced the recipe.  I’ll call it serendipity for these are just the texture and taste I was looking for in my cake; reminding me of good old-fashioned coffee and walnut cakes we had in Edinburgh way back in my childhood.

They deliver just the right amount of rich coffee mouthfuls, crunchy with chopped walnuts and topped with a light coffee mascarpone cream.  I think they’d also taste good with a coffee buttercream icing so I will make that the next time around when I can practice my piping skills L. 

I topped the cakes with walnut halves and the remainder with chocolate covered coffee beans.  I preferred the latter mainly because there are already plenty of walnuts tucked inside and the beans give them a contemporary look.

These are for Sweet New Zealand, a monthly blogging event hosted this month by Delissimon.





Coffee & walnut cupcakes


makes 12 cupcakes

2 tsp instant coffee
100ml boiling water

100g butter, softened
50g light brown sugar
50g muscovado sugar
2 large eggs
100g self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
35g walnuts, chopped finely
walnuts/chocolate covered coffee beans for decoration

Icing

200g tub mascarpone
2 tbsp muscovado (or dark brown) sugar
3 tsp cold coffee mix (from recipe above)

Heat oven to 180°C. 

Mix the two teaspoons of instant coffee with the boiling water and leave to cool.

Place paper cupcake cases into a 12-hole cupcake tin.

Beat the butter and two sugars together until creamy.  Add the eggs, flour and 4 teaspoons of the cold coffee (keep leftover coffee aside to add to icing) and a pinch of salt.  Beat to combine.  Stir in the chopped walnuts.

Spoon the mix evenly amongst the paper cases.  Bake for 18-20 minutes until the tops spring back when pressed lightly with your fingers.

Cool for a few minutes in the tin and then transfer to a cake rack to cool completely.

Once cool, spread the icing as thickly as you like over the cakes and top with a walnut or chocolate covered coffee bean.

Icing 

Beat the mascarpone, sugar and coffee together until smooth. 



2 comments:

  1. There is nothing like an WI coffee and walnut cake. Oh those were the days. These look rather delicious though :o

    ReplyDelete