Monday, March 17, 2014

Fudgy Chocolate Macaroons


Not to be confused with the highly popular macarons (although it can be quite confusing as macarons are also known as macaroons), I'm distinguishing them like this - French macarons for coloured meringue discs sandwiched with filling and macaroons for chewy coconut  confections with a crispy outer.

I never took a liking to the plain coconut macaroons which were usually pyramid shaped morsels with toasted coconut on the outside but these ones are on chocolate overload and are really something. If you can imagine a meringue based brownie you'd be close to the taste and texture of these - fudgy, chewy chocolate and coconut covered with a crisp baked outer shell. Highly addictive.

Fudgy Chocolate Macaroons

Makes 16-18

250g good quality dark chocolate (72% or more cocoa)
2 egg whites
a pinch of salt
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups coconut (best with long thread coconut but you can substitute desiccated coconut)

Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.  Line a large tray with baking paper.

Chop or break the chocolate into small chunks and place in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let the water touch the base of the bowl or let it splash onto the chocolate).  Stir frequently until the chocolate is melted.  Put aside to cool.

Place the egg whites, salt and 1/2 cup of the caster sugar into the spotlessly clean (no grease!) mixing bowl of your cake mixer and, using the whisk attachment, whisk until stiff.  Add the remainder of the sugar about a heaped tablespoonful at a time, whisking each addition for a few minutes.

Turn your cake mixer onto lowest setting and briefly mix in the vanilla and melted chocolate. Using a metal spoon, fold in the coconut carefully.


Place small scoops onto the baking tray.   I used a mini ice cream scoop which holds just over a tablespoon of mix, depends on how big you want the macaroons.  I think next time I'd go with just using a spoon to get a more rustic look at these were too rounded for my liking.

Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes until crisp on the outside but soft and chewy in the centre.

I'm sharing these with Sweet New Zealand hosted this month by Frances at Bake Club.



I'm also pleased to be participating in We Should Cocoa as this has been on my food blogging To Do list since, oh I don't know how long.  We Should Cocoa is also a monthly food blogging event all about chocolate and whatever other ingredient the guest hosts come up with.  This month's host I'd Much Rather Bake Than ... has chosen coconut so it seems I am lucky in that all my stars converged (drum roll, please) resulting in my first ever entry.




And if you want more chocolate and coconut loveliness, don't miss this previous post - another favourite of mine!

Chocolate Date Slice


13 comments:

  1. Oh fabulous. I love macaroons of any description, coconut, almond or otherwise (not sure I've ever had otherwise, but suspect other nuts would be good too). Of course adding chocolate makes them super delicious and yours have a lot of chocolate in them. So pleased you made it to the We Should Cocoa party this month and hope to see you again in the future. A lovely, entry, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been reading your blog since before I started mine and I still can't believe I have finally submitted an entry - got there in the end!

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm, I've never had chocolatey coconut macaroons before but now I really want to! I can imagine them to be absolutely delicious. Welcome to We Should Cocoa and thanks for entering =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - the chocolate makes all the difference!

      Delete
  3. Great entry for Sweet NZ, and this month also there is a prize, so good luck!!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! I always find the plain white macaroons a bit boring, but with chocolate?............ Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I can definitely vouch for that!

      Delete
  5. Hurrah, so happy that you have climbed aboard the We Should Cocoa train. Toot toot!
    I have never liked macarons, too much focus on form over substance. But macaroons are my ultimate weakness - even those very wicked pyramid ones with glace cherries on top. These look absolutely gorgeous (way more appealing than a lavender or pink macaron), I'm looking forward to making them (not least because I bet the raw mixture is delectable...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy - I'm so pleased I finally entered. I'm with you on macarons - reminds me of dogs eating ice cream - one gulp and it's gone. And yes, I can verify the raw mix is very, very good.

      Delete
  6. Lesley, I adore macaroons, actually way more than macarons. I've never had chocolate ones though so I can't wait to try these. Like Lucy, I'm banking on the raw mixture being pretty darn good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is good, Sue - I can vouch for that - and chocolate's definitely the way to go.

      Delete
  7. Macarons for me are impossible to make. So, I guess I'll have to settle for macaroons. Not a compromise, more like a step up. Especially these, with my favorite flavors! Thanks a bunch for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete